Friday 14 August 2015

Kiama Coastal Disaster


(Occurred in 2011)

So Myself, and four other friends began a walk at 10am along the Kiama Coastal Track, however only the last section (there's three) this section is about 6km long up and down hills along the side of the coast to Werri Lagoon. Having began the walk two of my friends who I might as well just say were Jake and Luke, realised they had not packed any food or water. Because who needs preparation? So after 2 hours (or possibly longer as myself and Nathan are slow) we reached Werri lagoon.


Luke and Jake decided we should continue walking along the beach up into Gerringong so they could buy some food and drink. Everyone agreed and we began the long walk up the beach into town. After sitting and eating they somehow came up with the bright idea that catching the train to Kiama from Gerringong train station would be much better than having to walk all the way back, so we walked ourselves to Gerringong train station (this had already resulted in a simple 6km hike becoming 9.1kms). So even though a few of us had no money we had to hope there would be no transit officers. However, hyperactive as they are Luke and Jake began to play around on the train tracks while Nathan, Weekse and Myself waited.

Suddenly a voice came over on the speakers telling us that the police had been called for playing on the tracks, that they were on their way. Already frustrated with them we now had to flee so as to not get into trouble from the police, and everyone decided the best idea would be to just follow the tracks along.

So off we ran following the tracks back to Kiama, and although I thought this was a stupid, ridiculous and terrible idea, I also admired the thought, as it reminded me of my favourite film Stand By Me.
We followed the tracks past a major road, ducking down behind the large reeds so no cops would find us, and climbing down into them when a train came beeping it's way down the tracks. Following the winding tracks was arduous and our feet where tired and our legs chaffed.
Soon we came along a train tunnel. We looked down to see the small spot of light at the end. My heart twinged. I knew it was a terrible idea. All around us was a massive hill, we all knew to walk over it would cost us even more hours of walking. "We should just go through". Insisted, once again, Jake and Luke.

I didn't think it was a good idea. I had seen Stand By Me and I vividly remembered what happened as they tried to cross the train bridge in the film.
"There's room on the sides". They both insisted. "For workers and stuff, there's plenty of room, if a train does come just throw yourself into the corner it'll be fine".
I still tried to argue to walk around, unsure of going through the tunnel. I did not want to die. I imagined the G-Force of the train pulling on of us into it and killing us. After about 10 minutes of discussion we decided to walk through the long train tunnel.
We began at a slow pace, eventually trying to quicken, all well aware that a train could come at any moment. I kept looking out behind me, hoping if a train did come it would come from in front as we were still close to the way out.

Deeper in we walked, so I began to have flashes of the train coming from in front of us, knowing we were beginning to get to the middle of the tunnel and either way would be a long way to the exit.
Suddenly I light lit up behind me and I screamed in what almost felt like slow motion to me. "Train!"
We began to run, as fast as we could, trying not to trip over our own feet. All of us were terrified, we ran, and ran and ran, the exit getting closer, finally we burst out the other side and through ourselves down in a pile of dirt, all panting and sweaty. After a few moments someone looked and there was no train. "I thought you said there was a train" Jake said.

Turns out, Luke (who was at the end behind me), had switched on his phone light. Panting and dying we rested until we could breath again and continued on the painful walk on our swollen feet, with no idea how many extra kilometres the winding train tracks had added.
Finally we arrived back at the cars by nighttime (around 8pm), stinking wet with sweat and just wanting to get home and have a shower.

Weekse, Jake, Nathan, Steven and Luke

If you have enjoyed this post, or my blog in general, please follow it, or like my page on facebook or follow me on Instagram.
Thanks for reading! - Steven

2 comments:

  1. lol sounds like a great guys trip ;) you'll probably be laughing about it from now until eternity.

    Joy at http://www.thejoyousliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had lots of fun. Great memories for you all.

    ReplyDelete